Green Roof Incentive
If a building or parking structure includes an approved "Green Roof", the area covered by the Green Roof may exceed the zoning district's allowed maximum building coverage for the property up to a maximum increase of 20 percent. For example, if a zoning district has a maximum building coverage of 30 percent of the property, and a building footprint equal to 20 percent of the lot is covered by a green building roof, then the maximum total allowed building coverage shall be 50 percent. In such example, an area equal to a minimum of 20 percent of the lot area would need to be covered by a Green Roof, but not the entire building roof.
In order to be considered a “Green Roof,” such area shall be exposed to direct sunlight at noon-time and shall be covered with vegetation that is designed to absorb stormwater runoff. Vegetation shall be planted in soil or other growing material with a minimum of 4 inches of depth. Up to 10 percent of an area of a Green Roof may include walkways or skylights. If such vegetation dies, it shall be required to be replaced within 150 days.